Why is it worth designing efficient and scalable components?
Are you struggling designing components in a way that makes sense? Usually, there’s not just one way of designing. It is important, though, to have a system in place that allows you to think, design and document components that are future-proof, but also proven to work in real-world scenarios.
Javier will help you get there by translating his experience designing systems used by millions of people around the world. We will design and dissect components so we can understand what’s the role of their different parts. We will prepare our Figma file so it can support and encourage this by keeping a proper document organisation.
Finally, we will document our designs, so they are useful to understand how they work showing how to use them to get a consistent and coherent product.
The workshop includes
- Workshop slides with practical examples.
- A Figma file you can duplicate and adjust to your needs.
- Live, interactive sessions.
- Hands-on exercises and reviews.
- All workshop recordings.
- A participation certificate.
- Several improvised jokes.
- Create scalable and modular components that support different outcomes from the same shared base.
- Make designs that are ready for the real-world and can gracefully handle different scenarios.
- Keep a clean and tidy Figma file where there are naming conventions and an organised way of working.
- Leverage Figma’s capabilities in a way that benefits our own approach to organizing the components.
- Document designs and components, so it’s easy and useful for designers and non-designers alike.
Target audience and takeaway
This workshop is for interface designers, UX designers and front-end developers who’d love to understand how to make scalable and efficient designs prepared for real-world conditions. You’ll walk away with clear ideas, techniques and resources on how to improve your current projects in a way that reflects a systematic approach to design.
Designer at Wise
Javier is a designer who loves to design everything he sees and lives, thinking how that could be better. Born in Mendoza, Argentina, Javier has spent the last 13 years officially based in Europe. He has also travelled all over the world — working remotely, teaching design, and getting to know new people and places.
During all this time, Javier has also worked for all kinds of companies and projects, big and small. Some of them were for companies such as Telefonica, Yahoo, Zara, UEFA and Carolina Herrera. Currently, he’s part of the Design Systems team at Wise in London.
Besides his full-time projects, Javier has co-authored and self-published a book on mobile app designs. This passion for writing has led him to regularly write on Smashing Magazine, where he has published several articles on topics from interface design, to design workflows, mindsets and more.